Friday, September 17, 2010

US Deploys Predator Drones to California-Mexico Border

As a resident of San Diego, California, I was horrified to learn yesterday that the Department of Homeland Security has deployed Predator-B drones to the border here. Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but this seems excessive to me. And, yes, the B model Predator is fully weapons-capable.

Supposedly, the drones are only being used for "surveillance", but surveillance of whom? And who picks the targets of this "surveillance"? The militarization of the border for political reasons has must be stopped, because it is those of us who live in the border region who suffer for this.

If nothing else, imagine what a huge temptation that must represent for some in government. Once having set the precedent of targeted assassinations abroad, what is to stop them from bringing that practice home to roost?

How did Martin Niemoller put it?

They came first for the Communists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me

and by that time no one was left to speak up.


Al Jazeera English has posted a story on the subject, though it takes an odd perspective. Then again, foreign coverage of the domestic affairs of one's own nation always seems that way, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment